Skilled artisans reveal trade secrets and current methods with hands-on demonstrations of historic plastering, masonry, restoration, forged metal arts and guided tours of Rosedale House and Gardens.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Learn the importance of the maintenance & sustainability of historic brick masonry.
- Learn the properties of mortars that are typically appropriate for historic repairs.
- Learn the properties of the correct mortar to work with masonry maintenance and repairs.
- Learn correct methods of finishing joint work details with various pointing tools.
- Learn about historic and contemporary plastering materials and tools.
- Learn the methods and steps of plaster repairs within OHSA requirements.
- Learn installation methods & safety requirements for flat walls & ornamental plastering.
- Learn about path materials required for the Americans with Disabilities Act in gardens.
- Learn about grading requirements for the Americans with Disabilities Act in gardens.
- Learn about pervious and impervious paving materials in historic gardens.
- Learn the challenges of balancing historic preservation with technology & security.
- Learn the lessons of programming for safety in an historic building.
- Learn the lessons of maintaining existing building materials in an historic building.
- Learn about historic metal forging materials, tools and modern safety requirements.
- Learn correct methods of forging metal work executed with proper tools and techniques.
- Learn the environmental benefits of repairing and maintaining existing metal hardware.
To register, click here: http://classicist-nc.org/events/?action=evregister&event_id=2